Sunday, July 05th, 2009 | Author: sethu
- Boiled rice 1.5 cup
- raw rice 0.5 cup
- tuar dhal (red gram) 1 cup
- channa dhal (Bengal gram) 0.25 cup
- red chili 6
- red chili powder 1 tsp
- sombu (aniseed) 3 tsp
- hing (asafetida) 1 pinch
- small onion 2 cup-thinly sliced
- ginger 1”-finely sliced
- curry leaves 20 -broken
- salt to taste
- Wash both rices and soak in water for 2-3 hr. Wash both dhals and soak in water for 2-3 hr.
- Grind red chilies, sombu, asafetida, salt into coarse paste. Add soaked rice and grind coarsely. Add soaked dhal and grind again coarsely with adequate water to make a thick batter.
- Add sliced red chili powder, small onion, ginger, curry leaves, mix well and keep aside for 1 hr.
- Heat a shallow pan; pour the batter into a thick, round layer, a little loosely by spreading it with a ladle. Add drops of oil and turn it when bottom side turns golden brown. When this side also turns golden brown, remove the adai and serve with jaggery/ sambar/coconut chutney.